American Kennel club A Community Effort: AKC Breed Clubs Provide Aid After Hurricane Helene

Joan Brown has a long career of service beginning with her time in the Navy, and now, after the devastation of Hurricane Helene, her connections in the dog world have helped her coordinate aid and relief in affected areas. Brown currently lives in Laurel Springs, North Carolina. Since then, Brown has developed her niche in the dog world. She designs websites for AKC Parent Clubs, breed clubs, rescue organizations, and charitable foundations. Her strong ties in the dog community have grown into a dedicated network of friends and volunteers who are currently assisting in the relief effort following Hurricane Helene.

breed-clubs-hurricane-helene-4.png

Stewart Royall

While she was living in Rhode Island during her time in the Navy, she developed a passion for breeding and showing Collies, and became a member of both the Collie Club of America and Collie Club of New England. After leaving the navy, she she started her own business as a web developer, Blue Ridge Graphics, and became a member of the Piedmont Collie Club.

Brown, who lives down the mountain on the other side of Interstate 77, has been coordinating the distribution of supplies to areas devastated by Helene. While instructing delivery drivers on where to unload supplies, Brown spoke to the AKC about the scale of devastation in western North Carolina and how the dog community is coming together to help those in need.

Hurricane Helene’s Devastating Impact​

After making landfall in late September, Hurricane Helene left a path of devastation across six states, destroying roads and homes and knocking out electricity for millions of people. The rising death toll has made it one of the deadliest storms to strike the United States. Among the hardest hit areas in western North Carolina are communities like Sparta and Laurel Springs in Alleghany County, Jefferson and West Jefferson in Ashe County, and Todd in Buncombe County.

Some people remain in their residences without power while others have had considerable property damage or have lost their homes entirely. “They’re sleeping on the floor at churches, which is why we sent them pillows and pillowcases because they didn’t have any,” Brown says. The churches are feeding people whose homes have been destroyed. Residents have opened their homes to neighbors who need to take a shower or get something to eat.

breed-clubs-hurricane-helene-5.png

Michelle Johnson

“Up there in the mountains, you’ve got neighbors with chainsaws who are going over to the lady’s house next door, and they’re chain sawing trees that have fallen over,” she says. “Somebody else will go in and say, ‘You need some food,’ and will get them food.”

From Grassroots Effort to Domino Effect​

One of Brown’s neighbors posted on social media that he planned to take supplies up the mountain. “I thought that is so great, and now I can do something to help,” Brown says. She collected supplies and brought them over to him and was quickly joined by hundreds of people in their area who wanted to help.

“I’m just one little link in the chain,” she says. Her Facebook post about relief efforts has received an overwhelming response from the dog community, many of whom regularly travel along Interstate 77 to attend dog shows. At one point, she heard from a Collie breeder who told her that everything beyond their town had been destroyed.

breed-clubs-hurricane-helene-3.png

Joan Brown

Pretty soon, donations started coming in from dog clubs including the Akita Club of America, Rocky Mountain Akita Club, Mid-Florida Australian Cattle Dog Fanciers, and Akita Club of Puget Sound. Then donations started coming in from individual members of dog clubs including the English Springer Spaniel Field Trials Association, Petit Basset Griffon Vendéen Club of America, American Lhasa Apso Club, and Collie Club of America. “And it’s just snowballed,” she says. A friend of Brown’s offered to create an Amazon list of needed supplies, and they’ve gotten donations from as far away as Japan. Her husband, Dave, has also been in touch with pilots who are taking supplies to remote areas that aren’t accessible by vehicle.

“People really want to help, and we’re just individuals, helping people and helping dogs,” she says. “I mean, you never think of the smallest things we take for granted.” Residents need everything from warm clothing and bottles for collecting clean drinking water to gasoline for operating chainsaws, generators, and ATVs. Every day, they’re packing up supplies at Brown’s house and making four or five trips up the mountain.

Paying it Forward​

Aside from power outages and flooding in the area, Brown was fortunate to avoid the effects of the storm. “We had a lot of rain and wind, but all I had to do was bring our three dogs in, and we were good,” Brown says. “That’s the other reason why I said, ‘Hey, we got to do this because we’re blessed.'”

breed-clubs-hurricane-helene-2.png

Joan Brown

Brown remembers losing her home in 2017 after it burned down due to a manufacturing defect in a wood-burning stove. “If it wasn’t for the people in the dog community, I would never have made it,” she says. “They came through big time.”

She was able to rebuild after the fire, but she worries about her neighbors who don’t have flood insurance. “They’re going to be in a world of hurt,” she says. “Some churches are collecting money to pay for whatever insurance doesn’t cover.”

Helping others isn’t new for Brown, who volunteered during Hurricane Katrina. She says it’s in her blood, referring to her ancestors who were missionaries and her father who built churches in other countries. “I like to help people,” she says. “I always have. I’ve said this many times over the years, work gets in my way. I love my job, and I need my job, but I would be much happier as a volunteer.”

Supporting Helene Disaster Relief​

“I’ve used Facebook and because I know so many people, they’re all sharing it,” she says. “And I keep those posts updated on a daily basis, so there’s transparency. People know that if they send me money, they can see it’s going to where it’s needed. The dog people are amazing people. I can’t say that enough.”

breed-clubs-hurricane-helene-1.png

Michelle Johnson

AKC Reunite Pet Disaster Relief Trailer and Disaster Funds are also among the ways that things in the area can help. Trailers are donated to areas in need, equipped with supplies to create emergency pet shelters to first responders. Breed clubs raise money for these trailers, and that money raised is matched by AKC Reunite so that a trailer can be deployed to areas in need.

Brown firmly believes that you have to help people first. “It’s the people that feed and take care of the dogs,” she says. “It’s just like being on an airplane. They always tell you, ‘Make sure you put your mask on first before you put it on your child.'”

She says she has immense pride in being part of the dog community, especially during this time. “We’ll just keep going until they’re all fed and clothed,” she says. “They are tough mountain people. They’ll make it.”

The post A Community Effort: AKC Breed Clubs Provide Aid After Hurricane Helene appeared first on American Kennel Club.

Read more...

Latest posts

V
  • Article
Replies
Views
Vet Explains Pets
V
V
  • Article
Replies
Views